Field Testing Technician
This certification is for personnel who test concrete in the field.
It is an entry level certification with no prerequisites. A working knowledge of the following ASTM standards is required for this certification:
- ASTM C1064 Temperature of Freshly Mixed Concrete
- ASTM C172 Sampling of Freshly Mixed Concrete
- ASTM C143 Slump of Hydraulic Cement Concrete
- ASTM C138 Unit Weight, Yield and Air Content (Gravimetric) of Concrete
- ASTM C231 Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Pressure Method
- ASTM C173 Air Content of Freshly Mixed Concrete by the Volumetric Method
- ASTM C31 Making and Curing Concrete Test Specimens in the Field
ACI will grant certification only to those applicants who meet both criteria:
- A passing grade on the Written Examination; and
- Successful completion of the ACI Performance Examination
The one-hour written examination is “closed book” and consists of 55 multiple choice questions. In addition the performance exam, which is also "closed book," requires you to perform each of the seven ASTM standard test methods. Once you pass both the written and performance exams, you are certified as a Concrete Field Testing Technician Grade I for five years. Certification registration fees include the current ACI Study Guide, procedure review session, written and performance exams. The mandatory procedure review consists of an oral presentation and viewing the ACI video tape of the testing procedures.
THIS IS NOT A TRAINING COURSE!
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How do I register?
You can register online and complete the registration form and email or fax it in
2. What forms of payment do you accept?
You can pay your registration fees with a check, money order, Visa, Discover or MasterCard.
3. How and when do I get my study guide?
You will receive your study guide the first day of class. It can be mailed to you in advance at an additional cost of $18.95.
4. Where do the testing and review sessions take place?
The testing and review sessions are at the location noted on the schedule.
5. What is your cancellation policy?
The latest you can cancel your registration for a full refund is 5 business days prior to the start of class. Cancellations less than 5 days forfeits your registration fee.
6. Do I have to attend the procedure review session?
No, the review session is optional, however we strongly recommend it for all first-time certification attendees. It could be optional for those renewing their certification. If you need additional clarification, please contact us at 773-775-7558 or RegisterACI-IL@concretece.com and someone will assist you.
7. What time do classes start?
All sessions will start at 8:00 am unless otherwise noted. Please plan to arrive at least 15 minutes early to allow for check-in.
8. What do I need to bring with me to class?
Calculator (Cellphones NOT Allowed), pencil, highlighter, safety shoes, safety glasses, and ACI study guide if you received it in advance.
9. When will I receive test results?
Results will be sent to you by ACI national via U.S. mail within 2 to 4 weeks from test date. Do not contact us about availability of your test results. The Illinois Chapter does not grade the exams.
10. What if I fail the written exam?
Click here for information.
11. What if I fail the performance exam?
You will need to re-register with us to take it again. You can register online and complete the registration form and email or fax it in.